Immanuel Church of Stockholm, located in Sweden’s capital city, is seeking an Interim Pastor with focus on our international English-speaking fellowship during a time when the wider church is undergoing structural changes.
A wide diversity of people gathers in our church, young and old, from Sweden and from countries around the world, both believers and seekers, with diverse cultural and church backgrounds.
Immanuel Church has approximately 1370 members, and it is a part of Equmeniakyrkan / Uniting Church in Sweden. The whole congregation comprises of three language groups whilst remaining one single congregation. Amid our diversity, it is our vision that whoever enters our church will feel ”this is where I belong – no matter who I am or where I come from”.
Approximately 300 people from over 40 countries, attend the weekly service at the international fellowship, with a large English-speaking children and youth ministry. Throughout the week there are ministry activities and small group meetings.
The congregation is governed by one board and led by the Senior Pastor. The pastors of Immanuel Church are led by our Senior Pastor according to the pastoral visions of our denomination Equmeniakyrkan (Uniting Church in Sweden). Pastors are assigned different duties in the congregation according to how it is organized. The team of pastors plans together for overall issues as joint services, outreach, communications etc. The staff consists of over 40 persons, some of them are especially designated for the ministry of the international fellowship. The pastor of the international fellowship works closely with the International Council.
Our prioritized focus areas are children, youth, families and young adults, care for people in vulnerable situations, volunteer and leadership development, and relationships between our language groups. You can learn more about our ministries on our website
The main responsibilities of the Interim Pastor includes:
- Preaching the Word of God.
- Leading and coordinating Sunday worship (staff and volunteers).
- Leadership of designated staff.
- Congregational care, pastoral counselling, and spiritual leadership.
- Pastoral input to children’s and youth ministries, including confirmation classes.
- Pastoral input to small groups (when requested).
- Conducting baptisms, funerals, confirmations, and marriages
- Welcoming of newcomers, together with volunteers.
- Collaboration with all pastoral colleagues and the diaconal staff.
- Main contact person between Church management and the international fellowship (staff and members).
- Responsible and reporting to the Senior Pastor.
- Working for the unity of Immanuel Church.
- Taking responsibility for common goals, budgeting, ministry plans, and teaming with other staff and pastors on common projects and goals.
Desired pastoral and personal characteristics:
- Maturity of faith and pastoral experience to provide spiritual leadership to congregation and staff.
- Preaching skills with focus on biblical teaching and life application.
- Experience as a pastor of an international congregation.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Communication skills in Swedish are preferred, but not initially required. The language used among staff is Swedish.
- Experience of team leadership.
- Team player and inspirational and supporting leader.
- Reaching people with the Gospel.
- Carrying out the vision of Immanuel Church.
- Pastor of Uniting Church in Sweden/Equmeniakyrkan or subscribing to the same values and faith as this denomination.
The position is full time to start as soon as possible. The duration of the interim employment is planned to be maximum one year. The congregation can help to arrange residence.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and in line with local agreements. For more information, please contact pastor Ulla Marie Gunner, email firstname.lastname@example.org
The union representative for Vision is pastor Anna Berndes, email email@example.com
If interested, please email church secretary Cathrin Sjöström, firstname.lastname@example.org.
A questionnaire and necessary information will then be sent to applicants
as further guidance in the application process.
The final date for application is March 31st 2022.